I am a huge fan of therapeutic massage, know of its power to relieve pain, reduce muscle tension, and promote general health. Relaxation is one of the most important by-products of therapeutic massage, and is the fourth pillar of good health. The two can and do go together.
The clearest sign that you are relaxing is your breath. You will notice that when your nervous system has shifted, your breath is regular, not too deep, not too shallow.
Here are some other things you may notice when you have shifted into a relaxed state.
- Occasional deep breaths and sighs
- Sense of peace or being in the ‘twilight zone’
- Calm alertness
- New ideas
- Feeling of new possibility and hope
- Usual mind chatter is at a distance
- Feeling of openness in your body
- Feeling of movement and warmth in areas that were tense
What feelings and sensations do you associate with being relaxed?